Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Side Table

School has kept me very busy!  This is a good thing. For patient readers, updates are forthcoming, but in the meantime, I made a side table:



It is made largely of cherry, with a maple drawer front which came from a tree in my yard in Oregon. The drawer sides are poplar. I added complexity by including a lower shelf, which doubled the number of tenons involved. The lumber was milled using a power planer, but was finished with hand planes and all the joinery was done with hand tools. Finish is 3 coats of tung oil. This project was great fun and I look forward to building a second. This table was designed using the human form as a module, and proportional design throughout. At no point did I measure in terms of inches or meters, this is just "hip high" with whole number ratios driving the rest of the concerns. The chunky style is based on deconstructing a dresser we have, and imposing harmonious rations upon it. Smoothing the curly maple drawer face was an adventure, but I have learned a lot about sharpening and it was well worth it!

I am now in the midst of my final project, and I will have more to say about that soon.


2 comments:

  1. Very nice Rob! It was neat to be at the school and see the various stages of completion with everyone's table.

    ReplyDelete