Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Sawbenches

A pair of sawbenches has been added to the shop.  These are based on a simple design from Dan's Shop.  I had some 2x6 in the barn, so after a bit of scrubbing and scraping the grime off, it was not too difficult to cut and assemble them.  The worst part of it was using the dado stack on the tablesaw.  The more I use hand tools, the more I dislike the power tools.  Why didn't I make these by hand?  Well, sawbenches are one of those things that are simple to make, if you already have them.  I do intend to make a more historically accurate (and attractive) design someday, but these are robust and quite practical.

For those unaware: a typical sawhorse is far too tall to actually use a handsaw on.  This ergonomic reality is a reason so many people are turned off of handsaws.  Proper sawing technique involves securing the board to the sawbench with one knee while standing on the other foot.  I made these benches exactly at my kneecap height, meaning they might be too low for you.  That is what makes handmade furniture so wonderful though - its custom fit.  These have a long gap down the middle for ripping a board, and they are the same height so that they can be used with other boards to make impromptu tables or to support large pieces at the bench.  Very flexible shop furniture.  Plus, they work pretty well as normal benches, for warming hands by the stove.


I also filled in the concrete area under the stove with river rocks.  Still need to mount and paint the firebrick reflector and do a little bit more trim in the room.  I'm also starting to design the sharpening station which will live adjacent to the sink.  The benches will make all of that easier!

1 comment:

  1. Those look great! I also find that they work well for boring with a brace, mortising large stock while sitting on it, and a lot more. As you say, they are flexible. Well done!

    ReplyDelete